Growing Through Grants are rapid response, crisis prevention grants to prevent, hunger, homelessness, unemployment or other potential crisis when your family is faced with unexpected expenses.
HAND UPS - NOT HAND OUTS
Growing Through Grants are specifically purposed to prevent hunger, homelessness, and unemployment. Below are some examples:
- A positive COVID test that leads to unpaid sick leave,
- Unexpected car repairs that would cause you to lose your job
- A refrigerator that no longer gets cold and all of your food has gone bad,
- Loss of basic needs related to a home fire, act of violence, or sudden death
- A security deposit or moving expenses for a family coming out of homelessness or facing eviction
We know unexpected expenses - for better or for worse can challenge the stability you work so hard to maintain for yourself and your family. Even more, seeking, asking for and receiving help is often more exhausting than enduring the challenges or suffering in silence.
When She Thrives knows we don’t grow alone, and the growing through grants ensure you and your family aren’t forced to.
YOU MAY QUALIFY FOR A GROWING THROUGH GRANT IF:
- You’re a single mother in Allegheny County with children 24 or under in your home
- You’re facing a crisis that could lead to the loss of basic needs for yourself/family
- You’re willing to complete a short financial education course + quiz.
- You are able to verify your need for support
THESE GRANTS DO NOT SUPPORT:
- Paying past due bills to improve your credit
- Major purchases or expenses unrelated to an impending crisis
- Shutoff notices for lights or gas bills if you qualify for Crisis or Dollar Energy Support
Growing Through Grant applications are currently closed. Application submission will reopen in Spring 2023.
Please watch the video on Growing Through Grants and the application process.
After completing the video, take the post assessment to receive the application link via email.
***CAR REPAIR***If your car repair is not necessary to prevent unemployment, we are unlikely to approve your request, you can however reach out to Drive On 412 for support with repairs by emailing: Driveon412@gmail.com
***RENT*** Allegheny Link for housing supports. 1-866-730-2368
Department of Public Assistance, Emergency Shelter Assistance Fund
This fund provides financial assistance in order to prevent eviction or foreclosure, obtain permanent housing or obtain temporary shelter. People must be receiving public assistance benefits to qualify.
COLUMBIA GAS: 1-888-460-4332
PEOPLES GAS: 1-800-764-0111
FINANCIAL EMPOWERMENT CENTER
"I was simply blown away when our food was delivered!! I feel so grateful for the generosity of When She Thrives!! My teenage children were reluctant in assisting me in food prep, but once they got started, it was a great bonding experience for all of us. Our meal was delicious and made with love!! We are blessed to be blessed by you!!! We would have not had such a feast if it weren't for you!"
— Grant/Holiday Meal Recipient
— Grant/Holiday Meal Recipient